Gilchrist Foundation University Scholarships
In 2009 Stan Gilchrist, responding to a challenge by Mike Coward, Internationally Acclaimed Cricket Authority, started a branch of Lord’s Taverners Australia. The branch flourished and some years later, at the suggestion of his wife, June, Stan set up a University Scholarships program.
Gilchrist Foundation has taken the opportunity to extend opportunities for disadvantaged and disabled students to the next level.
Criteria for selection of students
Students nominated must be considered disadvantage according to one of the following criteria:
- Geographical isolation
- Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander
- Financial hardship
- Family trauma
- Domestic violence
- Medical issues
- Single parenthood
- Physical Disability
- Intellectual disability
- Other criteria agreed between the university and Gilchrist Foundation – such as ATAR, satisfactory progress (for continuing student) etc to be negotiated as appropriate.
- The university involved will select from qualifying new undergraduate students or continuing undergraduate students deemed disadvantaged according to the Gilchrist Foundation criteria.
- The selected students’ details will then be forwarded to the Gilchrist Foundation’s scholarships team for assessment.
- A Gilchrist Foundation assessment team will interview the nominated students in person or by electronic connection to award or reject the nomination.
Selected scholarship awardees will be contacted by-
- a Gilchrist Foundation Engagement person who will establish and maintain the connection for the duration of the scholarship in an advisory and nurturing role
- one of the Corporate Partners who sponsor the program. This is a two-way connection – the student acknowledging the Partner, and the Partner seeing the effects of the sponsorship.
- the Gilchrist Foundation Board via frequent Zoom connections or in person to ensure regular progress updates.
Scholarships will apply for the duration of the course of study provided that-
- satisfactory progress is maintained by the student,
- communication with the Gilchrist Foundation Engagement person is maintained, and
- the student meets requirements of reporting and advising of progress